Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Remembering Waltz with Bashir

Few movies ever have had an effect deep enough on me to wake me up at 1:30 AM after two years of watching it .. Waltz with Bashir is one such movie!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waltz_with_Bashir

It quickly became clear to me if I don't write something about it.. I am not sleeping .. so here it goes ..

The worst and the best part of the movie for me was the parallel drawn between the Lebanon war and the Nazi holocaust. The crux is that to deliberately ignore a wrongdoing is as bad as doing the wrong yourself. Creating light so that someone else can take a good aim is similar to switching on the Nazi gas chamber and let the Jews in the chamber die. Both are an accomplice to kill.

The movie has its protagonist trying to figure out why he is unable to sleep. He is unable to figure out .. He tries to ask this question to several of his friends and acquaintances of past... to stumble finally on his guilt. It seems why he couldn't figure it out himself or figure out sooner .. now that he has found it .. it seems obvious and weird that he took so much time and involved so many people in different countries to let his guilt come out for him to discover.

However, I don't know why but of all the people I can somehow feel empathetic that it's not easy to figure out your own guilt that you have buried down deep inside in an attempt to forget it .. extending the concept of out of sight out of mind to too far in a wrong way in a hopeless hope to forget it. The guilt stays there .. lurking and itching inside .. such a guilt is like a bed bug.. which can't be found easily .. it doesn't let you sleep .. it can't be exterminated .. ever .. unless you confront it squarely .. and to do that first you ought to discover it .. discovery is necessary because you have long conditioned and tried to train your mind to forget the harder truths .. the guilt of your wrong-doings .. or accomplice in a wrong-doing .. or just a bystander to a wrong-doing. You were so good and so hard in concealing those guilt that you are amazingly afraid to dig deeper in the fear of actually discovering it .. even without knowing it exactly!!

Why am I awake thinking all this .. what is going on with me .. do I really have a guilt of mine lurking deep inside that I have not yet discovered or just refuse to face it within myself .. for the fear of being let down in my own eyes. Is that what people call conscience .. that when we know that no one would ever know or knows .. it still hurts to think of yourself in a bad way because you know that you know that about yourself ...

having written this now I can sleep now .. at least ack'ing that I need to work on my own for the rest of it gives some relief to my conscience ..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home